International Friendship Award
See the pictures from our Sponsored Walk for Nowzad Dogs! Thanks for all the support which made the event such a success.
On Saturday, October 8th, 1st Purton and Lydiard Scout Group and Purton Veterinary Group are joining together to support a UK and International Sponsored Walk for Nowzad Dogs. As Wootton Bassett becomes Royal in October, we thought it a nice idea for our Group to hear about something positive that has come from the war in Afghanistan and how we can help this charity started by British marine ‘Pen’ Farthing (see the Nowzad website to find out all about this charity and you can read the books).
The aim of the charity this year is to walk the distance from the UK to Now Zad, Afghanistan collectively! A huge total of just over 3,631 miles! We are confident that with everyone taking part with or without a four legged friend that we can help walk this distance and the charity to reach their target! The Scout Group will be working towards their International Friendship Award and this event will coincide with learning about this country and the Scouting that is happening there.
Want to join in?
- Sponsorship money raised from our walk will contribute to the charity’s work, in particular animal rescue and funding the rescue centre.
- The walks will take place on Saturday 8th October, rain or shine.
- We are offering a 2 mile or 5 mile walk around the lovely Purton countryside with staggered start times: 5 mile walkers at 2pm, 2 mile walkers at 3pm. Scouting sections will be allocated definite start times nearer the event depending on numbers. We expect to be finished approximately by 5pm depending on your chosen walk.
- You can take part with a dog or without! Young people bringing a dog must be accompanied by a parent.
- Please register before starting off and sign back in when you arrive to receive a special certificate.
- Please meet in the Angel Car Park. Please try to leave your car at home as parking will be limited.
- Route maps will be available on the day.
- All participants do so at their own risk and we ask that all dogs are kept on a lead, you wear suitable footwear, clothing and Group scarf, you have a supply of food and water for yourselves and doggie, and of course some poop scoop bags!
There is a registration fee of £1 per person and adults have the option of paying £10 for a special T-shirt, wrist band and key ring (sorry this pack from Nowzad is only offered to adults). There is also a prize for the adult and child collecting the most sponsorship money! Purton vets are also holding a raffle for the charity, which will be drawn on October 8th.
We hope you will support this event with your child and enjoy the participation as well as supporting such a worthy charity! The stories behind the rescues are amazing, not to mention how these dogs have often sustained the morale of our troops in Afghanistan. A dog – mans best friend!
Registration and sponsorship forms are available from our Downloads page.
Sabot and Trigger rescued in 2010 - read all about them (and their friends) at http://www.nowzad.com/2010/04/sabot-trigger/.
World Scout Jamborees are organised every 4 years. The 2007 Jamboree took part in the UK and coincided with Scouting's centenary celebrations which our Group joined in with.